November 5, 2016

Pinch me, this can't be real!


There are so many updates to share, I'm not sure where to begin!

Let's start with the fantastic news...our team is confirmed! Whoohoo!! Our group consists of twelve volunteers, from across Canada, and so far it looks like I'll be represent'in the East Coast as many are from Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia.


"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
More fantastic news! As soon as our team was confirmed, we were given permission to book our flights. After researching many online options, I contacted The Travel Store to confirm a flight reservation. My very awesome travel consultant not only found availability for an amazing airfare but also a more convenient itinerary! Plus, she made it possible for me to include a quick stop-over in a dream destination. I have thirty hours to explore Cape Town, South Africa! As I have been a National Geographic wannabe-photographer since childhood, I am beyond excited to watch the wild, waddling tuxedos of Boulders Beach! Strangely though, the first place I hope to experience is a remote island prison. Robben Island has become "a symbol of the triumph of the human spirit over adversity" and I am grateful to have the opportunity to walk through the history within those walls.


Last week, we received an update from our group leader that we will no longer be the first Canadian Habitat for Humanity team in Lesotho as another team of volunteers will be arriving at the end of January. Initially, they had been scheduled to build in Ethiopia but were redirected due to security concerns at their original destination. While it was slightly disappointing news for our team, it will provide us with an opportunity to receive valuable advice prior to our arrival in Lesotho.



In other news, I have contacted the Charlottetown Travel Clinic and it appears that my vaccinations are up to date. I have scheduled an appointment for early in the new year to discuss other precautionary health concerns. 

As well, I have double checked the official travel advice issued by the Canadian Government for both Lesotho and South Africa and only general advisories and precautions apply.



The next step in the process is beginning the fundraising campaign for the volunteer portion of the trip! I am still working on the final details of my personal fundraising page with Habitat for Humanity, but the web-page should be available shortly. Having said that, I have already received my first donation of $100! Thank you Momma!   jp


No comments:

Post a Comment