December 4, 2016

It all started with a Gingerbread House...


Someone recently asked me where my interest in Habitat for Humanity started. It took me by surprise, as I really didn’t know. I’ve had a chance to reflect and I'd say that my general interest started when I was a teenager. First, helping build our family home...and thanks to gyp-rock, sub-flooring and what felt like an endless supply of roof shingles, this chick learned how to swing a hammer. J Also, I completely fell in love with travel. In part, due to a gift of an annual subscription to National Geographic magazine, a grandmother that encouraged me to spin a globe and tell stories of far-away places, a teacher that taught world history with passion, and my first sponsor child, from Colombia, who wrote letters and whose pictures I still have.  


The Poirier Family Gingerbread House, 2010
In December 2009, I was helping arrange a corporate luncheon for about 100 guests and was tasked with finding holiday-themed, appreciation gifts. That year, Habitat PEI was having a gingerbread house fundraising campaign and my employer liked my idea of holiday gifts that gave back to the local community. I didn’t know it at the time, but that was a defining moment and started my Habitat for Humanity journey.  


The following holiday season, I was on the Habitat for Humanity website looking for another gingerbread opportunity and happened to view details regarding the Global Village program. What happened next was surreal, as I found myself applying to build a home in Kenya! I completed my first phone interview on Dec 27th, 2010, and I must say that the timing and the numerous preparation details that followed, felt...fated, as everything just seemed to fall into place. Since then, I have volunteered with Habitat PEI (including a Women’s Build and a Father’s Day Build), helped create awareness for local events (thank you Island Family Magazine!), my children have participated in building Habitat bird houses, and we’ve donated items and refinished/re-purposed furniture from the Habitat Restore. It is safe to say, that I believe in their purpose. Everyone deserves a decent and safe place to live.

Habitat Iqaluit, Nunanut, 2013

Should you be interested in donating items to Habitat for Humanity or looking to shop for gently used furniture, please check-out your local Restore (location directory here).


For more information about how to get involved on Prince Edward Island, please see the Habitat PEI website. They may not have a gingerbread house fundraiser this year, but I will be forever grateful for the lil’holiday tradition made of cookies-n-candy that lead me to volunteer and build homes around the world. It has been a life changing journey with many truly amazing gifts. I’m looking forward to the build in Lesotho, and I sincerely thank everyone for your kindness, encouragement and support.


Happy Holidays!
jp

PS – For more information about sponsoring the Habitat Lesotho build, please see My Fundraising Page. Thank you!!



No comments:

Post a Comment