January 17, 2017

Bravery? I don't think so.


My arm hurts! I dropped by The Travel Clinic yesterday and, it’s official, they've freaked me out. I was provided with a list of twenty-seven potential disease concerns, including their risk factors, preventative measures and vaccination recommendations. Thankfully, the consultant determined that I only required one additional vaccination, an update for Typhoid Fever (to prevent food and waterborne illness due to salmonella). The initial injection was quick and painless, but after a few hours my left arm seemed to disapprove of movement. In addition to the vaccination, The Travel Clinic also recommended Dukoral, an oral vaccine to prevent e-coli related illness and Malarone as an anti-malarial medication. I was also provided with confirmation of my Yellow Fever vaccination (often requested and sometimes required when travelling within Africa), as well as a list of helpful suggestions for my first aid kit. As a few considerations are extremely low risk, I am resolved to ignore the words “scorpions”, “snakes” and “spiders”!  

I had an opportunity this week to extend my 30 hour stop-over in Cape Town, and while the city offers many tempting sites to explore, the idea of travelling on my own made me feel a bit uneasy. This island girl has adapted well to her life in rural PEI and I’m not entirely comfortable in large cities, let alone those in a foreign destination. Someone recently told me that I'm “brave” to be going on this adventure. To be honest, I’m nervous-as-heck...this type of experience definitely tests your comfort zones and challenges your perspective.

In other news, I have reached my initial fundraising goal!! Thank you to everyone that is supporting this build! Both your donations and encouraging words are truly appreciated. Given my current apprehensive state, a recent note had my eyes glistening, "You are doing a great thing for humanity. God bless you."


I received a recent inquiry regarding the allocation of donated funds, so after contacting my team leader, I thought I’d share additional information to provide more clarity.

For each participant of the Habitat Lesotho build, the Global Village tour costs are distributed as follows:

  • Charitable Donation (Habitat Lesotho & Habitat Canada): 37%, or approximately $1000 per participant.
  • Local Arrangements: accommodation (18%), transport (10%) and meals (15%).This works out to approximately $95/day, most of which provides economic support to local families. For example, on a previous build our team stayed in basic, dormitory style rooms with shared bathrooms (previously a convent) and meals were basic and prepared on-site by local volunteers. Our van drivers became part of our team, and we learned that they were often away from their families for months at a time.
  • Additional/Miscellaneous: 20%. This includes expenses related to participant insurance, cultural events, health & safety supplies, coordinator meals/accommodation, contingency, in-country coordination, emergency cell phone service, etc. 
  • Labour: FREE! J
  • In addition to the Global Village tour costs, volunteers are responsible for the post-build R&R activity (mandatory, as the volunteer experience can be intense), return airfare, personal insurance and all other travel related expenses.

I hope the information is helpful, and as always, should you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to let me know. 

Only six weeks until departure! Anyone know where I can find some bold, daring and boundless courage? I'm packing, and might need to fill a suitcase.

jp


To donate to Habitat for Humanity and support the build in Lesotho, see: My Fundraising Page!



LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment