February 9, 2017

Where Are We Building?


While specific details have been slow to arrive from Habitat for Humanity Lesotho, it has been confirmed that our build team will be based in the Roma Valley, approximately 35 km from the country’s capital city of Maseru.

Roma is a small valley town that was established by missionaries in the 1860s. While the town of Roma is considered to be the educational and spiritual heart of Lesotho, it is primarily an agricultural area surrounded by a barrier of broad, rugged, sandstone mountains. An exciting bit of geological information...I might have an opportunity to walk among dinosaur footprints!


Images of Roma Valley, Lesotho



Packing, Weather & Currency
Preparation Update...

Packing: My Habitat for Humanity T-shirts!

Weather: It’s looking like our build days could be an interesting mix of warm-n-humid with potential for daily thunderstorms. I’ve packed an umbrella and a rain parka...but not my wellies, as I'm hoping I won't need them!

Currency: The South African Rand is quite possibly the most thrilling currency I have ever held in my hand! Exchange rate: 1 CAD = 10.2 ZAR. The equivalent to our "toonie" features Nelson Mandela and an African Elephant! 

Our team is eagerly awaiting specific details regarding the build and partner family...and with only a couple weeks until departure, I should have more information soon!    jp


To make a financial donation and support the building of a home for a family in need, see:       My Fundraising Page








No comments:

Post a Comment